The blade above is as described in my last post, the very first really solid forge welded blade I have done. Please refer to the last post regarding the change in techniques I made. As you can see, some pattern is starting to show after acid cleaning. The circled area is where the fold was and did not weld correctly. If I would have continued to fold this would have solved itself but it was more an experiment on proper technique. This material is just stock 1018 for practicing the welds. I used borax as the flux. Strength was increased greatly after folding for a low hardness steel. Forged in very high carbon content coal fire.
Another good clear shot of the folding points. These issues solve themselves throughout longer welding projects however this was consistently folded without issue and welded in a coal forge which I am very proud of, I built the forge and it works very well for this process as it reaches steel melting temps easily. Next project is doing Swedish lamination. Surrounding 1080 with 1018 for max edge hardness and max spine durability.
Till next time!
This entry was posted on December 2, 2012 by .. It was filed under Knife making-Blacksmithing and was tagged with alloying steel, Blacksmith, carbon, coal forge, experimenting with steel, forge, forge welding, knife welding, layering steel, pattern weld, smithy, steel.